1 HaberdasHer: Crafting a Cushion: Hillarys Blinds Country Crafts Competition

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Crafting a Cushion: Hillarys Blinds Country Crafts Competition

Happy Tuesday everyone! Today is a very special blog - I'm unveiling my entry for the Country Crafts blogger competition run by the lovely people at Hillary's Blinds.

As you may know, I love a good sew (hey, a rhyme!), and as I've been so stressed with uni work, when I saw that Hillary's were running a competition to turn one of their new country retreat fabrics into something fab, I jumped at the chance for a little creative project. Plus, prize money of £1,000 is certainly nothing to be scoffed at!

Naturally I know there are all manner of incredible craft bloggers out there whilst I'm still very much an amateur Annie, but after scouring Pinterest for inspiration, I fell in love with the idea of 'conversation cushions.' I'm going to be moving house soon and will have my own home office, so really wanted to make something that would bring a bit of whimsy to my new space, plus greet visitors! Here were some images of inspo:

I then had an agonising decision between the four beautiful Hillary's fabrics on offer. I very nearly plumped for Bird Parade Teal, but we all know I'm a sucker for colour so Calluna Amethest became the obvious choice. The fabric was lovely and thick to work with, as you would expect curtain material to be, and really provided a solid base for embroidery and applique. As I love a bit of upcycling, the Amethyst also perfectly matched an old t-shirt of my boyfriend's which I used for the back of the cushion. 




And here is my final cushion! In hindsight I wish I'd used embroidery thread on the 'hello' to make it a little bolder, but considering I did the whole thing by hand, I'm pretty pleased with the result and still have loads of fabric left to experiment with. If you're interested in making your own 'hello' cushion, you can follow my step by step below. Sewing by machine is obviously quicker, but if you're after something fun to do in the evenings whilst watching telly, I couldn't recommend hand sewing more - it's so relaxing.



What do you think of my cushion? Wish me luck in the competition! Check out more info here - http://www.hillarys.co.uk/inspiration/the-hub/2014/country-craft-competition/


No comments:

Post a Comment